- About Us
- Pet Library
- Informational Pages
- Contact Us
If your pet ingests any of the following, please contact us at (914) 769-4502, an emergency veterinary clinic, or one of the following Poison Control Hotlines as soon as possible:
Animal Poison Hotline: (1-888) 232-8870
ASPCA Animal Control Poison Center: (1-888) 426-4435
Pet Poison Hotline: (1-800) 213-6680
Alcohol is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and affects pets quickly. Ingestion of alcohol can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure and body temperature
The fatty acid “persin” in avocado leaves, fruit bark and seeds have been reported to be toxic. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, abdominal enlargement, abnormal fluid accumulations in the chest, abdomen and sac around the heart.
Coffee, tea, energy drinks, dietary pills or anything else containing caffeine should never be given to your pet, as they can affect the heart, stomach, intestines and nervous system. Symptoms include restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination, excessive panting, increased heart rate and blood pressure levels and seizures.
Cocoa and chocolate contain theobromine, a chemical that is highly toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion of small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea, but ingestion of larger quantities can cause seizures and affect heart rhythm.
Foods that are high in fat can cause vomiting, diarrhea and pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) in pets, especially in certain breeds like miniature schnauzers, Shetland sheepdogs, and Yorkshire terriers.
Grapes and Raisins
Just a few grapes or raisins can damage your dogs kidneys or even prove deadly.
Popular in many cookies and candies, macadamia nuts should never be given to pets. Lethargy, vomiting and loss of muscle control are among the effects of macadamia nut ingestion.
High levels can be fatal. Signs include tremors, seizures and nervous system abnormalities.
Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic in any form-even powdered- can endanger your pet’s health. Ingestion of small amounts can result in gastrointestinal upset, while larger amounts can cause severe anemia, particularly with long-term ingestion (like sprinkling it on your pet’s food).
Believe it or not, common table salt is poisonous to your pet but it’s not usually from table scraps. The source is often what surprises pet owners: pets often experience salt toxicity as a result of eating household play dough, swallowing too much sea water, or ingesting paint balls, which are loaded with salt. Salt toxicity can be very severe and results in neurologic signs such as lack of coordination, seizures and brain swelling, and needs to be treated carefully be a veterinarian.
Many sugarless gums and candies contain xylitol, a natural sweetener that is acutely toxic to dogs. Ingestion causes vomiting, weakness, a life-threatening drop in blood sugar, loss of muscle control, seizures and liver failure.
Unbaked dough that contains yeast can expand in your pet’s stomach and intestines. As the yeast ferments, it releases gases, resulting in nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and even life threatening bloat and twisted stomach. Some yeast dough also ferments into alcohol, which contributes to signs of lethargy and alcohol toxicity.
(Advil, Aleve, Motrin, Tylenol, etc.)
(Zoloft, Cymbalta, Effexor, etc.)
(Ritalin, Vyvanse, etc.)
(Klonopin, Ambien, Lunesta, etc.)
(Lioresal, Flexeril, etc.)
(Cartia, Cardizem, etc.)
POISONOUS PLANTS TO AVOID
There are a number of common plants which may be toxic to dogs and cats and should be avoided. These include: